The three-day conference, “Anti-Judaism, Antisemitism, Delegitimizing Israel,” will occur from May 25-28, and will feature leading experts from around the world confronting the most pressing issues of the day. The conference is hosted by The Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s Vidal Sassoon International Center for the Study of Antisemitism. The full program is available here.
The conference will be opened by Professor Menahem Ben-Sasson, President of The Hebrew University; Charles Knapp, Knapp Foundation, New York; Ira Forman, Special Envoy for Combatting Antisemitism, US State Department; Irwin Cotler, MP and Former Minister of Justice, Canadian Parliament; and Robert Wistrich, Head of the Vidal Sassoon International Center for the Study of Antisemitism.
Among the many and topics and participants:
- Milton Shain (South Africa): South Africa, Apartheid, and the Road to BDS
- Tammi Rossman-Benjamin (US): The Boycott (BDS) Movement on American Campuses
- Abraham Cooper (US): Circumcision, Ritual Slaughter, and the Delegitimization of Israel
- Lesley Klaff (UK): Holocaust Inversion in Great Britain
- Fiamma Nirenstein (Israel): Neo-Antisemitism and “Israelophobia” in Europe
- Michel Gurfinkiel (France): The Prognosis for European Jewry
- Bat Ye’or (Switzerland): Antisemitism/Anti-Zionism: Primal Pillars in Europe’s Decay
- Sarah Fainberg (Israel): “The Jewish Card” in the USSR and Post-Communist Russia
- Samuel Barnai (Israel): Anti-Zionism in Contemporary Russia: Eurasian, Islamic, and Left-populist Trends
- Matthias Küntzel (Germany): Iranian Antisemitism and the International Response
- Efrat Aviv (Israel): Antisemitism in Turkey under AKP Rule
- Meir Litvak (Israel): Anti-Zionism and Judeophobia: The Iranian Case
- Guy Millière (France/US): Radical Islam, Zionism, and the Western Media
- Joel Fishman (Israel): Anti-Zionism as a Form of Political Warfare
- Nelly Las (Israel): Jewish Difference, Antisemitism, and Theories of Gender
- Ben Cohen (US): All in the Mind? Outline of 21st-Century Antisemitism
- Irwin Cotler (Canada): The Laundering of Delegitimization under the Cover of Universal Values
- Alexandra Laignel-Lavastine (France): Contemporary Anti-Zionist Discourse on the Right and Left
- Melanie Phillips (UK): The West’s Auto-Immune Disease
- Alvin H. Rosenfeld (US): What Exactly is “Criticism of Israel”?
- Shimon Samuels (France): Antisemitism as Identity Theft: from Durban to the World Heritage Committee
- Mark Weitzman (US): Catholic Fundamentalists and the “Jewish Question”
- Stephen Norwood (US): Convergent Antisemitisms: The American Far Left and Far Right
- Esther Webman (Israel): The Jew as a Metaphor for Evil in Arab Public Discourse
- Raphael Israeli (Israel): Contemporary Muslim Antisemitism
- And much more.
The Vidal Sassoon International Center for the Study of Antisemitism is an interdisciplinary research center dedicated to an independent, non-political approach to the accumulation and the dissemination of knowledge necessary for understanding the phenomenon of antisemitism. The Center fosters research on antisemitism throughout the ages, focusing on relations between Jews and non-Jews, particularly in situations of tension and crisis. Since 2002, the Director of the Center, Prof. Robert Wistrich, has initiated a critical research engagement with antisemitism – dealing both with the challenges of the present while emphasizing the need for a historical perspective.