About American Friends of The Hebrew University (AFHU)
American Friends of The Hebrew University (AFHU) was founded in 1925 by the American businessman and philanthropist, Felix M. Warburg. A national, not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) organization headquartered in New York City, AFHU raises awareness of and support for The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel’s research powerhouse and most comprehensive institution of higher learning. Through the philanthropic leadership of American Friends from coast to coast, AFHU helps the university to recruit and retain outstanding faculty, build teaching and research facilities, provide scholarships and fellowships, and advance basic and applied research in myriad vital fields. AFHU’s national and regional programs, events, and missions to Israel promote greater appreciation of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s breadth and scope of achievements, and the university’s pivotal role in educating leaders for the State of Israel. By nurturing Israel’s greatest natural resource – the intellectual strength of its people—AFHU helps The Hebrew University to improve human health, lead the way with agricultural innovation, spearhead the latest breakthroughs in brain sciences and illuminate the world through the humanities.
Beth Asnien McCoy, AFHU National Executive Director
A highly experienced fundraising professional and Jewish communal leader, Ms. McCoy joined AFHU in 2003 as Executive Director of the organization’s Southeast Region. She has served as AFHU’s National Director of Development since 2007, supervising regional Executive Directors and spearheading major fundraising campaigns, missions to Israel, and events and programs that have showcased The Hebrew University of Jerusalem in communities across the United States.
Throughout her tenure with AFHU, Ms. McCoy has played a pivotal role in advancing the national campaign in support of Hebrew University, working in close coordination with Hebrew University and AFHU leaders, dedicated American Friends and AFHU’s professional team. This productive partnership has fostered the life-sustaining work of Hebrew University’s Robert H. Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, the Edmond and Lily Safra Center for Brain Sciences and the Mandel School for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, among other pioneering initiatives. Great emphasis has also been placed on the university priorities of faculty recruitment and student scholarships. These combined efforts have strengthened the State of Israel and contributed to human progress. Ms. McCoy has strengthened AFHU by helping to build the organization’s National Campaign Committee and Regional Campaign Committees, establishing ties and enhanced communications between leaders and supporters located in diverse communities throughout the country.
Long committed to cause-related missions, Ms. McCoy earned her Bachelor of Science degree from Hofstra University, pursuant to which she embarked on a thriving career in the nonprofit sector. Her experience spans twenty-five years. Prior to joining AFHU, she served as the Arizona Regional Director of Development for the Anti-Defamation League, as Executive Director of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America (Arizona) and as the Tri-State Regional Director of the Muscular Dystrophy Association (New York).
Beth McCoy can be reached at email@example.com
Felix Warburg – Founder and first President of AFHU
Almost 30 years before there was a State of Israel, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem was born. It was a dream of visionaries Albert Einstein, Chaim Weizmann, Sigmund Freud and Martin Buber based on an idea conceived before the start of the twentieth century – to create a center of higher learning in the tradition of the great Jewish academies of old. Prior to its opening in 1925, the university already had found an enthusiastic group of U.S. patrons. Led by Felix Warburg, the era’s pre-eminent Jewish leader, a group of influential Americans organized the American Advisory Committee, with Mr. Warburg as its chairman. In 1924, the Warburgs visited the university’s original campus on Mount Scopus with Judah Magnes, Hebrew University’s first chancellor and president. Inspired by Magnes’ vision of the creation of a great Jewish university in Jerusalem, the Warburgs established the first major endowment fund for the university, a contribution that still produces income which enables students to pursue their studies at the university’s Institute of Jewish Studies. In 1931, the Committee was incorporated as the American Friends of The Hebrew University, with Mr. Warburg as its first president. Hebrew University’s growth entails a history of cooperation with many Jewish organizations. The American Jewish Physicians Committee, organized in 1921 as the result of a visit to the United States by Albert Einstein, helped finance the Institutes of Microbiology and Chemistry and later worked with Hadassah to establish a Medical School at the university. In the 1930s, Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America, became a major partner in supporting medical research at Hebrew University. Other organizations that have worked with AFHU include: the National Council of Jewish Women; the Women’s League for Israel; the P.E.F. Israel Endowment Funds, Inc., and the Alpha Omega Fraternity, which supported the creation of The Hebrew University-Hadassah School of Dental Medicine. AFHU has always based its success on the individuals who identify with its work.